Summer in Montana can mean both enjoying adventures under the sun and relaxing in the crisp indoors to escape the heat. If you’re looking forward to coming home to a cool, refreshing environment, you want to ensure your A/C unit is doing its job properly. One of the best ways to make sure your home is in summer shape is with a thorough air duct cleaning.
After a long fall and winter of running your heating, your HVAC system’s air ducts can be dirty and potentially damaged from the constant use. A/C duct cleaning and sealing keeps your home comfortable during the hotter months, supports indoor air quality, and reduces the energy your home can lose from an inefficient HVAC system. At Mountain Heating and Cooling, we offer full-scale air duct cleaning and repair services, and we love to share the tricks of our trade with customers. Read through our advice below on air duct cleaning, its benefits, and how to prep your air ducts for the summer—it’s just around the corner!
How Often Do Air Ducts Need Cleaning?
On average, it’s good practice to schedule an air duct cleaning service every three to five years. However, your location, climate, and HVAC system use could mean you need more frequent cleanings. Additionally, mold and illness can signal that your ducts need cleaning and, perhaps, even replacing.
Reasons to Clean Air Ducts
Like any cleaning service, air conditioning duct cleaning helps keep your home running smoothly and promotes health and wellness. Below are some of the top reasons why air duct cleaning benefits your and your home’s wellbeing:
- Reduces Respiratory Illness – Dirty air ducts can push dust particles and mold spores throughout your home and cause respiratory problems. Some illnesses that may signal your air ducts need cleaning include sinus infections, lingering coughs, and long colds.
- Clears Out Rat & Insect Infestation – Pests like rats and insects frequently nest in air ducts, so cleaning them out regularly can help prevent the spread of illness in your home.
- Removes Mold – Mold can be extremely harmful to your health if left unchecked. Mold spores can easily spread through your ductwork and contaminate your air, causing illness for you and your family. It’s important to remove mold as soon as possible and remove the source of the mold. HVAC technicians can help you take preventative measures to protect your ductwork from mold.
- Clears Buildup from Home Remodels & Renovations – Construction in and around your home generates excessive dust and dirt, which can contaminate your HVAC system.
- Improves Energy Efficiency – If your HVAC system is blocked by dirt and debris, it can either work harder than it should or stop working entirely. This extra effort on your HVAC system consumes unneeded energy, which can mean higher energy bills. Cleaning out your air ducts regularly helps keep energy consumption and monthly expenses to a minimum.
- Extend Your HVAC System’s Longevity – Having your air ducts regularly cleaned and repaired can extend their life expectancy. Removing debris can help prevent clogging issues that cause our HVAC system to work harder and wear out faster.
Hiring a Pro for Air & Heating Duct Cleaning vs DIY
While you can clean your air ducts yourself, hiring professionals will give you better, more thorough results. HVAC technicians have specialized knowledge of duct systems and what impacts duct efficiency. They can pinpoint problem areas that often get overlooked by untrained eyes. For example, comprehensive air duct cleanings not only involve technicians clearing out the aluminum ductwork running throughout your home but examining your diffusers, fan motor, girls, and heating and cooling coils.
Additionally, most homes aren’t equipped with the necessary cleaning tools to efficiently clear out air ducts–your home’s vacuum can only do so much! Professional HVAC companies have specialty vacuums built for air duct cleaning, scrub brushes, air skippers, chemical treatments, and even cameras to ensure the job is done correctly. If you would like to schedule an air duct cleaning appointment with Mountain Heating and Cooling, reach out to us today!
Double Down with Air Duct Sealing
To double down on making sure your air ducts are summer-ready, air duct sealing goes hand-in-hand with air duct cleaning. ENERGY STAR reports that nearly 20 to 30% of the air that goes through your duct system can be lost due to holes, leaks, and poorly connected ducts. This is where air duct sealing comes into play. Air duct sealing plugs any holes or cracks in your ductwork so air quality is consistent, healthy, and efficient. This can cause your utility bills to skyrocket and your HVAC system to work harder than it needs to. Usually, air duct sealant consists of an adhesive compound that fills any gaps and cracks in the ductwork. Many homeowners try to fix these leaks with duct tape, but it is not nearly as efficient as duct sealant. Tape gradually falls off over time, while duct sealing stays.
When you hire an HVAC technician for air conditioning and heating duct cleaning, they are typically able to locate any cracks or damage to your HVAC system while they are cleaning your system. This is extremely more efficient than tracking down duct leaks on your own, especially if you don’t have the proper equipment to fix the damage.
Ready for Expert’s Help? We’ve Got Your Back!
If you’re ready to get your home in summer shape, reach out to our team today. At Mountain Heating and Cooling, our HVAC professionals are well-versed in air duct cleaning and sealing, and we take the care and time to ensure the job is done right the first time. To schedule an appointment, drop us a line here to get the process started.